Wednesday, November 8, 2017

more progress


My undisturbed weekend was so nice. I got that mold filled 


and it will probably be the last one we fire before the open house. If I get the finish work done and the display stuff done before the open house it will be a fucking miracle.

Monday I cleaned up my mess over at the shop and then went to the local frame shop for some foam core board for the new sign and then after lunch Rocky's asking about the last door (which is solid enough and undamaged on the garage side from the flood but the inside has the veneer coming loose some at the bottom and I was thinking I would just live with it but what the hell, everything else in the room will be new so might as well replace that one too) and also about the flooring which I had already decided to do in vinyl but have to pick an actual product. So I've been back on-line and on the phone looking for a door just like the one I have...solid core slab door wood veneer no panels.

Yesterday I drove to El Campo which is closer than Rosenberg and the Lowe's to look at the door at McCoy's, damaged at the bottom, they'll probably give you some off the guy says (no, not replacing a damaged door with another damaged door no matter how minor) and to the flooring place where I got there basically in time for her to close for the lunch hour (small town) and for her to tell me she couldn't identify the flooring in my bathroom from a picture (what?). So since my call to the Wharton flooring shop who did the bathroom has gone unreturned and they are NEVER open, not, at least, the few times I've tried in the middle of a weekday, I will probably have to start over and pick a new a vinyl that is as close to what I have as possible. Anyway, I headed back and then drove in the opposite direction to Lowe's to buy the door. Which I did.

Progress as of end of day yesterday...



Getting there.

Now something totally unrelated to work or reconstruction, wandering around the yard yesterday some fluttering on the yellow ginger caught my eye 


and another hummingbird moth had it's tongue stuck in a wilted flower and was struggling to get loose so I gently pulled it off and away it flew. Then I noticed a second moth on the same cluster of flowers but this one was not so lucky and had already died. 


That's the second one (found one earlier this summer that was stuck and had died) so I guess I need to check those clusters every morning as long as they are blooming.




12 comments:

  1. That's so sad about the moths! I wonder why they get stuck? Maybe there's something about those exotic flowers that isn't compatible with their Texan-insect tongues!

    You sure have done a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how they get stuck. it's always on a wilted flower. do they try to get nectar from a wilted flower? do they fall asleep while eating and the flower wilts around their tongue? seems crazy to me.

      Delete
  2. pretty wild with the moth, never heard it before.Nice to see your progress, I have seen a brass plate one can put on the bottom of a door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first hummingbird moth I've seen. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hummingbird moths are so interesting. I think we've seen one here, but I wasn't able to get a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor moths! How frantic they must feel when they can't back out! But the gingers are so beautiful.
    Once again- I cannot believe how much work you've done, how much you've accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I'm not doing the actual work (except for the glass) but I have to keep my eye on Rocky and Gunner so they don't make decisions for me. but lots of running around and then lots of wasted time when I can't really get anything else done. my neighbor Leonard though is working his butt off. he's already got all the bead board up in his whole house, well, the bottom three feet. decided he'd do that instead of replacing the sheetrock

      Delete
  6. Wow...maybe pulling off the wilted flowers each morning would be a good idea...it is very weird for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Getting a tongue stuck. That is a new one for me. Ginger blooming...you do live in a warm clime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it has been unseasonably hot but a cold front did come in yesterday.

      Delete
  8. I've only seen one hummingbird moth in my life. I have a friend in the hill country who sees them regularly. I'll ask her if she's ever seen one get stuck.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.